1. OATMEAL COMES IN SEVERAL VARIETIES
Steel-cut oats are chopped oat groats and are the least processed; rolled (or old-fashioned) oats are steamed and rolled flat; instant oats are precooked and dried, and often contain added sugar.
2. SLOW-DIGESTING CARBS OFFER LONG-LASTING ENERGY WHEN EATEN BEFORE WORKOUTS
Blend 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 scoop whey protein and 11/2 cups water to make an easy all-in-one pre-workout shake.
3. ONE SERVING OFFERS AN ARRAY OF MACROS
(1/2 cup) of cooked steel-cut oats has 150 calories, 5 g protein, 27 g carbs, 2 g fat and 4 g fiber. One serving (1 cup) of cooked rolled oats has an extra gram of fat. One packet of plain instant oats has 100 calories, 4 g protein, 19 g carbs, 2 g fat and 3 g fiber.
4. YOU CAN COOK STEEL-CUT OATS QUICKLY
In a large microwave-safe bowl combine 1/2 cup steel-cut oats, 1/2 cup 1% milk and 1/2 cup water. Microwave for four minutes, stir and cook for two more minutes.
5. YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE OATS FOR BREAD CRUMBS IN JUST ABOUT ANY RECIPE
Finely chop oats with a knife or food processor, then add them to ground beef to make meatballs or meatloaf, or use them to bread fish or chicken fillets.
BY M&F EDITORS