Want to go meat-free more often? Try taking non-meat foods you already like (such as rice and beans) and mixing in veggies to make them more satiating.
THE VEGGIE BURGER TO KILL YOUR CRAVINGS COOK TIME: 15 min.
- 1 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 large portabella mushroom cap, stem removed
- 1 slice vegan cheese
- 1 bun
- Heirloom tomato slices
- Red onion slices
- Romaine lettuce
1. Mix coconut aminos, paprika, thyme, maple syrup, cumin, salt, and pepper. Submerge mushroom cap in mixture. Marinate overnight.
2. Heat grill. (Bryant prefers charcoal for better taste and heat distribution.)
3. Grill mushroom, cap-side up, for 10 to 15 minutes. Flip; add cheese and grill for about 3 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and mushroom is charred and tender.
4. Assemble burger on bun with desired toppings.
BY JASON STAHL